Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pederson anemone shrimp

I ordered some new inverts for my tank. I got two Pederson anemone shrimp, 2 nano brittle stars, and a purple photosynthetic gorgonian. I've never had a gorgonian before. I've read mixed things on this. Some say they are easy to care for, some say they are difficult. I got the purple (bipinnate) sea plume gorgonia, Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata, from Florida. I'll highlight this tomorrow. Today I'll tell you about and show you my new shrimp!

Taken from the website where I bought them:

This is the anemone shrimp from the Caribbean called the Pederson’s Cleaner Shrimp, Periclimenes pedersoni. They are small shrimp with long wavy antenna that spend most of their time perched on anemones waiting for fish to come by for cleanings. They seem to prefer the corkscrew anemones and the knobby anemones that live on the offshore hard bottom habitats, but whey will host on just about any Caribbean anemone, including the corallimorphs such as ricordea. They are quite animated in an aquarium and will rock back and forth bouncing their antenna trying to attract the attention of the larger fish so they can check them for parasites.

I chose this species because my tank is mushroom dominated. I figured they would feel right at home here :)



No comments:

Post a Comment